Thursday, December 13, 2007

My son the Hornet Hero

So my distinguished honors son, now thir"TEEN" calls me from school and says "Mom, I shot a Hornet on the bus, can you come get me at the Eighth Grade Center." My first thought was what a nice boy, he is keeping some kid that is deathly allergic to bees, wasps and hornets safe. We have taught him well. He may not like spiders but those flying pests, he is all over them. Then I quickly realize that he is a seventh grader. (The bus picks 7th graders up first and then goes to the 8th grade center to get the eighth graders). The quick thinking, intuitive mother that I am realized that shooting a hornet must be a bad thing. I immediately said, "Did you get kicked off the bus?" He sheepishly answered with a yes. Well, when talking to middle schoolers, a hornet is a tightly folded piece of paper, shot through the air at high velocity or maybe it is with great force with a rubber band. In other words IT'S A WEAPON!!! I had a fifteen minute drive to the school which allowed time for me to determine the proper way to handle the situation. As I arrived, there was a mom leaving the school yelling very loudly at her son, I knew that wasn't the answer. I entered the school and was greeted by the 8th grade Vice Principal. We chatted a moment and the accused was released into my custody.

My solution was this, He (the accused nameless teenager) was to sit down and compile two apology letters, one to the bus driver and one to his principal and vice principal. These letters were to be delivered promptly the next morning. His Vice Principal was so impressed that she allowed him and his once clean record to get away with a two week seat assignment in the front of the bus. A few extra assignments around the home also. Not too bad if you ask me. I think he learned his lesson.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That is crazy. I have never heard of the term "hornet" other than an insect that I despise. I think it's kind of a funny story only because it wasn't my nameless child.I think the way you handled the situation was very good. You are an amazing mom!

Chell said...

Man here at work we have people that shoot hornets but we call them flyign wads of papre, just like the frisbee that gets tossed around is just a frisbee, the football just a football, the wiffle ball is just a wiffle ball, and they are all annoying when you are trying to get work done and it wizzes by your head.

Good job on the apology letters...

Ginnie said...

Way to handle it. I'm sure I would be that yelling, crazy mom. I think you did a great job making him write apologies. I agree with laundry girl, you are a great mom!

Unknown said...

Good job, Cindy Lou.

music