Friday, February 1, 2008

Taking time for Me

As many of you know, I enjoy a girls weekend a couple times a year. I was planning on attending Womens Conference (WC) in Provo in late April but when I was calendaring with Blaine, He realized he needed to be in Minneapolis the same days. I had been looking forward to WC for over a year so you can imagine the disappointment I must have had. My adoring husband quickly asked "Is there anything else you would like to do". This can be a loaded question.

My friend and I quickly checked online for any near "Time Out for Women" Events. Well we found one in Las Vegas. Now, if you are not geographically challenged you know that Las Vegas isn't really near Philly. Never the less, we booked the flight, bought tickets for a show (Mamma Mia), and yesterday we boarded that flight. I like to statagize when booking flights. For instance, when traveling with a party of two I like to book seat A and seat C keeping the middle seat open in hopes that it would remain vacant, cuz you know anybody in their right mind will switch for either window or isle seat. This flight was packed tight.

This cute girl, probably in her early 20's approches us, we ask her if she would mind sitting in the isle, she is thrilled. We begin to settle into our seats when all of a sudden this big largely unattractive man plops into the seat beside me. Giving that girl the isle seat gave her great leverage to trade places with this other dude so she could sit by her loved one, what ever.

Would you like to know what our new neighbor packed for this trip. First of all, his walkman. Yes Casey, people still use walkman CD players. Second thing Mr. Plop brought was his air guitar, this man even had room to pack his air drums. About 60% of our flight we were forced to jam out. He would rock back and forth to the music in his head forcing our entire row to literally rock back and forth. I could go into greater depth about how this man jiggled and wiggled and leaned and rubbed and scratched, yes he scratched. I was entirely grossed out on this flight but enough is enough. I love that word, enough, which by the way could be another post "favorite words".

So here we are in Las Vegas. Did I mention that the "Time Out for Women" event that we flew out here for was cancelled. Yes, due to the death of our beloved prophet the event was rescheduled for September. So we are here in Vegas for three days and our only scheduled activity is Sat. night, Mamma Mia. I hope we will be able to find something to do. We'll see.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who did you go to Vegas with..I thought I was your friend. Oh, that's right, I am here too. I definately have some ideas. Oh, and Val wants us to play the tables for her. Don't forget Casey wants a $100.00 chip brought back too as a souviner. Viva Las Vegas!

Ginnie said...

You guys are having way too much fun. Can't wait to hear more about "mr. plop" in detail. And by the way, "mr. plop" sounds like something my kids would name one of there BM's... just thought you would like to know that

Chell said...

Oh ginnie love your mr. plop reference I can so see a kid using that.

Sounds like you guys are having a blast. I am sure you will manange to find something to do while out there. Hopefully the flight back will be a little less interesting for you.

ness said...

mr. plop sounds a little like my husband on our flight back to pa (minus the scratching...). it was completely quiet and he had in his good ol' ear plugs watching a movie on his ipod. i had to tell him to shut his yapper about 10 times. nothing is worse than being stuffed next to some stranger. hope you guys have some fun!

amyorr said...

Hey girls! Did you get my message yesterday? I feel for you. That is a long time to sit by someone who thinks he is rock star. If you get to bored, I could introduce you to my friends Chip and Dale.

Anonymous said...

Chip and Dale huh, I thought they were at Disneyland. I kept trying to talk Cindy into the Thunder Down Under, but no success....just kidding Randy.

em said...

Three unchaperoned days in Vegas...and you're in your hotel room posting to your blog.

Oh? What's that? Alibi, you say? Clever, clever.

somestratt said...

How sad that the TOFW was canceled, but on the bright side, at least you are in a city where you are probably having decent weather without a lack of things to keep you otherwise busy. I would, however, suggest avoiding those people handing out magazines on the streets. They aren't missionaries, and those aren't pass-a-long cards!!!

music